After being transferred from Unitas to Morningside Medi-Clinic yesterday by ambulance, I’m back in my familiar surroundings of Morningside’s Neonatal Unit. Again my appreciation must go to Dr Chris, Joy and Cedric of Netcare911 for taking such good care of me en route back to Morningside. This time Dad snuck onto the ambulance; but his presence was soon discovered and his participation required as he was helping with the on-board inverter and getting all my equipment plugged in to move it off battery power onto the ambulance’s inverter. Additionally, although the ambulance was equipped with two GPS devices, Dad took on the role of chief navigator as the ambulance negotiated its way back to Morningside. Once at Morningside, Dad again led the way to the NICU clearing a path and getting the elevators for the gurney. The Netcare911 chaps were really grateful for this, as they were not familiar with the hospital layout. Once in NICU, Dad still did not relinquish his role of supporting as he helped move me and attach the syringe pumps in their correct places. Once I was settled in, he was finally thrown out of the NICU as my vitals were stabilised. My Daddy rocks!!

Morningside NICU felt like a homecoming as all the nurses greeted me, my Mom and Dad by first name! As an added bonus I got to be examined by my heroine again, Dr Hay. She was so impressed by my progress that she decided to give the instruction to extubate me today. So early this morning, she arrived and together with the nurses’ help, I was taken off the ventilator. Needless to say there was much consternation around the room as all waited to see if my little lungs and heart would take-up the role they were designed for. And wow, did they perform! With great cheers and jubilations around the NICU I began to breath on my own, and have being doing so for the past few hours.

To boot, I’ve also been taken off many of my meds, such as the morphine, lasix and dobutrex. The morphine was used for my pain management, as having undergone such a major procedure, I was a tad sore. The lasix is a diuretic which ensured the continued effective functioning of my kidneys subsequent to the large amounts of contrast that were pumped into me for the procedure. Lastly, the dobutrex was to stabilise my blood pressure. The meds that I’m still on are neonatalyte (to keep me hydrated) and albusol 20% for protein.

In terms of feeding, I’m still making use of a tube, and it is this factor that will determine when I’ll be allowed to come home. Once I can feed on my own I’ll be kept in NICU for a day or so of observations, and then Mom and Dad can final take me home. I’m not sure when that will be – as it could take a few days to two weeks. As excited as I am to finally come home, I also don’t want to rush things for fear of jeopardising my health.

Will chat soon.




Figure 1 Here’s me in Pead-ICU at Unitas; this is quite an important pic of me as I’ve got a dummy in my mouth indicating my growing stronger

Figure 2 The mobile incubator to take me back to Morningside Medi-Clinic

Figure 3 Here are Dr Chris and Joy prepping me for my journey

Figure 4 After about 20mins of disconnecting and reconnecting me, I’m in the mobile incubator

Figure 5 Here’s me in the ambulance

Figure 6 Heading down the N1 with Joy at the helm

Figure 7 Google Earth view of the location of Jarrod’s window at Morningside Neonatal ICU

Figure 8 Google Earth view of the location of Jarrod’s window at Unitas PICU

Tags: , , ,

5 Comments on On The Road Again

  1. Lisle says:

    Jarrod you Biscuit!!!
    You get flying colours for doing so well!!!! I like the way that you have located your room on Google earth, but its not as cool as your room at home. All your friends are waiting for you to come home (healthy) to play with them.. Keep going Little Guy, you and your Folks are doing great!!!

  2. Gillian Lederer says:

    Awesome news – It won’t be long now.

    However, for us it will be a little bit longer until we can meet you but we really appreciate all the blogs and emails that come through – makes the distance a little shorter.

    Say hi to your Mom and Dad and not forgetting Oma and Opa.

    Lots of Love
    Gillian, Oliver, Ryan and Kirsten
    Minnesota USA

  3. Claire says:

    The news just gets better and better! I’m thrilled that you are strong enough to suck a dummy ’cause this means that it won’t be long before you are able to be fed through that little mouth. I look forward to meeting you in person.

  4. Jenni says:

    WOW, WOW, WOW!! I am so so proud of you. You are such a big strong boy with many angels looking after you.

    Keep up the good progress little Angel and before you know it you will be home in your beautiful nursery and be wondering what all the fuss was about.

    I think of you every waking moment wondering all the time how things are going. I know that this has been a rough start to your little life but have proved that you have the fighting spirit to get you through anything.

    Your Mom and Dad have been so strong you can be really proud of them too.

    Lots of Love to you Little Angel and to your Mommy and Daddy.


  5. Ally Sacchetti says:

    Dear Norwin and Lyn

    Jax told me about your precious angel Jared. Firtsly congratulation on his birth. He is in our thoughts and prayers as you guys are. Sorry you are having to go through this. Put it in Gods hands. May God bless and heal your precious boy.
    Love, Hugs and Blessings
    Ally, sTeve and Family

Leave a Reply