Hi all!

Well its not often these days that I blog for two days in succession, but I figured tonight there was nothing better than to draw on my wonderful fan base out there for support.

As mentioned in last night’s blog, this morning Mom and I headed off to Unitas to meet with Prof Fourie to discuss the issue of the indwelling micro-catheter that is running through my body (from my groin to my head, via the heart). From recent scans it is confirmed that it is beginning to pose a bigger problem than previously thought, and ideally it should be removed as soon as possible.

The problem is that an epithelial response to the micro-catheter is beginning to take place in my inferior vena cava. I guess I need to explain what this means. Firstly, the inferior vena cava (or IVC for short) is a large vein that travels from lower half of my body to the right atrium of my heart. Its purpose is to carry deoxygenated blood from the lower parts of my body to my heart, where the blood will be pumped into the lungs to be re-oxygenated. Secondly, epithelium is a type of tissue that occurs throughout the body; its purpose is to line cavities that occur naturally in the body.

In my case, the micro-catheter in my inferior vena cava is experiencing a epithelial response; in other words the tissue is starting to cover the catheter, and in doing so two issues occur. The first is that not does the micro-catheter occlude the vein (i.e. reduce blood flow in the vein), but through the epithelial response, the occlusion is exaggerated, as the tissue starts to create even more blockage in the vein.

Given this scenario, the most appropriate course of action would be to remove the obstruction, i.e. the micro-catheter. However, this is not as simple as it sounds, since the epithelial response has occurred, but its extent is not known. Therefore, as the micro-catheter is extracted, either via the jugular or the groin, it could snap somewhere in the length of my body. This would create an enormous complication, as it may mean the remaining micro-catheter would stay behind in my vein. This could cause serious problems for me at any point in the future, whereby the micro-catheter, or bits of it, could be flushed into my heart, or any of my other organs, with severe consequences. I’m not sure about you, my dear readers, but I would feel truly stressed going through life with the knowledge that at any minute my heart or other organs may get blocked by bits of micro-catheter.

The other scenario is that the micro-catheter remains in my body. However this scenario is not any better, nor any worse than the aforementioned scenario, as at any point in my life (it could be next week or twenty years from now), when I reach or stretch for something, or play sport, or take a tumble, the micro-catheter could be stretched to an extreme and snap inside my vein. Alternatively, if it doesn’t snap, it could unravel in my brain where it terminates with dire consequences such as compromising the occlusions that have been deployed in my vein of Galen.

From these two scenarios it is evident that we are facing a really difficult decision. It’s a situation of whether we do we are damned and whether we don’t we’re damned. The surgery to remove the micro-catheter has been provisional scheduled for Tuesday next week (12.05.2009), but as a family we’ve decided to not yet commit to this surgery. We are going to ponder the pros and cons of the various scenarios over the next 24 hours before we make a decision. Also we’re planning to do as much research as possible in the time provided, and talk to as many people as we can get hold of that can offer advice on this matter. Once we have all of this behind us, we will, as a family, make yet another incredibly difficult decision.

So please keep me and my Mommy and Daddy in your thoughts, prayers and wishes over the next few days as we face this situation.

Lots of love and sleepless nights,


8 Comments on Difficult Decisions

  1. Gillian Lederer says:

    Oh sweet little nephew when are all these problems going to be over. From all these beautiful photos over the months you have triumphed above all the bumps in the road that dogged your life in the beginning. So I guess they think you are tough enough to handle some more. OK bring it on – Jarrod can out run the big dogs now 🙂

    Obviously it is a real heart wrenching decision but we know your Mum and Dad will not leave a single stone unturned to find you only the best care available.

    Keep us informed – which I know you will do.

    Love always
    Gillian, Oliver, Ryan and Kirsten

    PS. Your “old” cousin Ryan is graduating from Iowa State University this weekend (8/9 May) with a double major in Finance and Management – time sure flies when you are having fun. Not too long ago he used to be your size 🙂

  2. Micheline says:

    Hey little Jarrod – you are growing up to be a very handsome little man – I loved your pictures at the beach!
    Lynn & Norwin, I know these are really hard decisions to make – all you can do is get as much information as you can and together with the doctors and people you trust make the best decisions you can. Be strong!

  3. Bronwyn says:

    Hey there gorgeous!!!

    This must really be a very difficult time for your folks right now, with having to consider all these scenarios.

    Just know that we are thinking of you all at this time and will keep you in our prayers and thoughts at all times.

    Love and best wishes to you all

    The Woods

  4. Tanya says:

    Hi happy little Cuddlebunny!

    Don’t you even begin to worry. You’ve just had one of the best weeks of your life and now this is something that will pass so that you can have more ‘best weeks’.

    Remember what I told you in the past about having the best mommy and daddy in the world … well their hearts may be very sore at the moment but they are so wise and they trust their instincts when it comes to taking care of your wellbeing. So the decision they make will be the best considering the pros and cons and they have the wisdom of a group of amazing medical specialists.

    You just keep playing and laughing. Your family will look after you and we will help you by looking after your parents and continue to pray for all of you.
    Love T, Ant and Morgan

  5. Tom & Di Fincham says:

    Jarrod, you are a real champion. With your very special parents and the expert advice they always seek the right decision will be made. We’ll keep you all in our prayers and thoughts and continue to light candles for Lederer family.

    The Fincham family

  6. Cornel says:

    Dear Led’s,

    Please know that we are praying for you for strength and wisdom in this time of difficult decisions. We believe that God will guide you to the correct decision.

    Lots of Love,
    Bertie, Cornel & Juané

  7. […] can tell that my Mommy, my Daddy and I are somewhat frazzled and frayed. The reason is owing to the difficult decision that has been looming over our heads for the past few days. Well, I bet you’ll all be […]

  8. Ilonka Malan says:

    Hi Jarrod,

    You are in our prayers and thoughts.

    Niel and Ilonka Malan

Leave a Reply